Saturday 22 February 2014

Umami Burger

Cute 'U' lettering imprinted on the burger bun!

So I mentioned previously that I met up with two friends for dinner on separate occasions. On my third night here, I met up with Cassie, a friend I've known for more than 15 years but hardly connected with back in school (we found out we were in the same Primary One class!), for dinner at Umami Burger. It was my treat for her as a way of thanks because she trained down all the way to the airport at 11pm on a school night to pick me up when I arrived >< SO SO GRATEFUL FOR HER KINDNESS!

Cassie was raving about their Truffle Fries, which she eventually got for herself, and since I don't take a liking for potato, I ordered the Tempura Onion Rings.

Tempura Onion Rings (USD$4.50) and Truffle Fries (USD$3.50, background)
It wasn't fantastic. The batter was under-seasoned and the onions just tasted bland. Not something I would order again. It doesn't even come anywhere close to the ones I had at Joe's Cable Car in San Francisco. The burgers and the onions rings there are the best in the city. BEST. 

For the burgers, I had their classic Umami Burger ( shiitake mushroom, caramelized onions, roasted tomato, parmesan crisp and umami ketchup). Cassie had the Cali Burger (butter lettuce, slow-roasted tomatoes, house spread, house-made American cheese, caramelized onions). I cannot remember all the sauces they served us to dip the fries/onion rings in, but I know there was umami ketchup and garlic aioli. 

Umami Burger (USD$11) and Cali Burger (USD$11, background)
I really liked the parmesan crisp! It gave the burger some texture, rather than the normal melting cheese (which I love!!) that comes along with most burgers. It was a pleasant burger to consume and enjoy, along with catching up with Cassie and tips on living in the Big Apple.

They've got a few outlets spread out across the US, and the one I went to was in Greenwich Village. It's a rather small place and it gets packed pretty quickly once it reaches around 7 or 8 in the evening. So if you're ever visiting NYC, I would recommend this place for their burgers.


Umami Burger (Greenwich Village)
432 Sixth Avenue, New York, NY 10011
Tel: 212-677-8626

No comments:

Post a Comment